Wednesday, November 10, 2010

And so it begins...

My first blog post! Yay me. I'm new to this whole thing and I really have no idea how I'm going to approach this project. I figured since I'm gearing up towards a few crazy weeks of baking and travel now was as good a time as any to start this thing up. It's something I've been meaning to do for awhile. I guess my aim is to show you what's possible from a teeny tiny apartment kitchen.

There are a few baking challenges heading my way in the next couple of months...

I'm really excited I decided to take on the challenge of CCC Mtl. I'm hoping the award winning cakes I made for CCC Ottawa will stand up to the test in Montreal. Salted Caramel filled Chocolate will live to see another day. This time there's a preliminary tasting round before they even make it to the celebs. I think this time success will be measured by just making it to the "real" judges. I'm wimping out a bit and only making the minumum of 24 + 6 for the judges + 6 for my friends (you're welcome ladies!) because I've also commited to...

#2 - 30+ cupcakes for a friend's daughter's 3rd birthday party
Not a big deal on a normal day but the party happens to be on the same day as CCC. The birthday party cupcakes will just be fun. Fluffy frosting, probably something pink, and lots and lots of sprinkles! This will be the first time I've ever made cupcakes to order. Since there won't technically be money changing hands I think it's fair to still enter myself into the Amateur category in Mtl.

#3 - Holiday Baking Sweatshop 2010 edition
This will be the third year I'm offering to do holiday baking for my co-workers who aren't as comfortable in the kitchen as I am. The first year I didn't think I'd have any interest. Boy was I surprised. I never realized how many people either can't or don't bake. The first year was not much of a money maker. Hundreds of dozens of cookies and about $100 later, I wanted nothing to do with cookies ever again. Last year I improved my business sense and everything went much better. Already this year I've had a few people ask if I'll be doing it all again. Why not? The email will go out this Friday. I'd better brace myself.

So, this first post ended up being much longer than I intended. I guess it's giving you a taste of what you've got to look forward to...the trials and tribulations of baking with 3.3 square feet of counter space (I just measured). There will be many pictures to come in the future. Stay tuned!

4 comments:

  1. I think you forgot to mention one thing- that your teeny tiny kitchen smells like pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should make the salted caramel in a gluten free... just sayin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm reeeeeeeally looking forward to one cute almost-3-year-old's birthday party just to taste her special cupcakes! Thanks for fitting them into your small kitchen and busy baking schedule.

    Oh, and I'm also looking forward to my salted caramel tester cupcake...don't be shy with the caramel. just sayin'

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon- just as long as she still has a sample for me, I'm ok with that.
    Hope your cute almost-3 year old enjoys her party and her special cupcakes! I should send you some of my sister-in-laws pictures so that you can torture Michelle with crazy cupcake designs that you want her to achieve.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...