Monday, June 18, 2012

Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal

The latest and greatest addition to my rhubarb recipes - rhubarb baked oatmeal.


If you've read this blog at all, you've probably figured out that I really love rhubarb. I've been making the most of this rhubarb season. I've been making a lot of rhubarb compote and eating it for breakfast with Greek yogurt. I was looking for a new breakfast recipe to help shake things up through the rest of the season and came across a recipe for baked rhubarb oatmeal. I had most of the ingredients at home so I decided to give it a shot. Here's my adaptation of the recipe using what I had in the cupboards.

Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
adapted from My Kitchen Addiction
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup yogurt (Greek or regular) 
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup diced rhubarb
Preheat oven to 350 F. Mix the milk, yogurt, egg, and vanilla. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingredients. Add to the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Mix in the rhubarb and pour into an 8x8 or 9x9 pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until dry on the surface and golden. 



Before

After
I really, really like this recipe. It's a great grab and go breakfast option. I cut it up into six portions and wrapped each piece in plastic wrap and put them in the freezer. Then it's really easy to just throw one in my lunch bag and take it to work for breakfast. With a little bit of vanilla Greek yogurt on top I can almost convince myself I'm eating rhubarb crisp for breakfast instead of healthy oatmeal. 

Do you have any healthier alternatives you make to trick yourself into thinking you're eating something decadent?

2 comments:

  1. Love *grab and go* breakfast food and the healthier the better. This looks like it would be something I'd have for both breakfast and a mid-morning snack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a hit at my house! I made it at night for quick reheating in the morning. We topped it with sweetened plain yogurt and a little strawberry rhubarb jab. Mmm!
    Lynds

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...