Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Icicle Treats

I can't even remember how I came across them but I've been following Icicle Treats (@IcicleTreats) on Twitter for awhile. I read all about the molds getting stuck in customs, finding a space in which to make their icy treats, getting the trikes licensed to sell, and successfully producing the first batches of ice pops. I've been dying to try them for a long time and when I saw this tweet last week, I knew I had to take advantage...I made it there by 11:03.


Icicle Treats is run by Erin Kennedy. She makes the homemade popsicles using as many local and organic ingredients as possible. She also mentioned that she never adds sugar - only agave nectar when a little bit of extra sweetness is absolutely necessary. I overheard her saying she simply throws the ingredients into the blender and the resulting puree makes up the pops. The business is run out of the catering kitchen of The Red Apron on Gladstone here in Ottawa. Besides the vending carts, the pops are also available for sale at The Red Apron and Thyme & Again on Wellington in Wellington West for $3.00 each. 

The cart outside Thyme & Again
There is a huge list of flavors available on the Icicle Treats website including blueberry lemonade, root beer float, peach basil, pink lemonade, chocolate coconut cream (I want to try this one!!!), Mexican chocolate, and honeydew lime. The selection Erin brought with her for sampling on Saturday included watermelon lime, mango peach, chocolate banana, and pineapple coconut. I was torn but decided to go with pineapple coconut and I was not disappointed. 

Erin helped me out with my photography
The pineapple coconut pop was made with fresh pineapple and coconut cream. Pretty much a pina colada without the rum. Although, Erin did mention it might be a good idea to try to add it in and make a boozy treat. She had previously tweeted about a successful batch of champagne and raspberry pops for a special event. I certainly wouldn't argue with a spiked frozen treat. Other potentially alcoholic flavors mentioned on the website include mimosa, peach-riesling coconut cream, and blackberry cabernet. Mmm. I think I may need to create some kind of even just to get some of these made.


This was really tasty and refreshing. The prefect treat for a hot summer day. The pineapple was still chunky enough that I could still tell there was real fruit in there. I'm definitely going to have to make the effort to go back to Thyme & Again or track down the cart to try another flavor. I'm really glad to see a local business getting off the ground. I really hope they continue to do well. Track them down and try them out!

2 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...