Sunday, July 17, 2011

Share Your Sweets: Creamy

This week's theme for Share Your Sweets on Serious Eats was creamy. I had a hard time with this one. A lot of the creamy desserts I think of are so simple and I kept trying to convince myself that I needed to make something more complicated. In the end I made a dessert that couldn't have been more simple. A version of Pineapple Delight


I remember my mom making this dessert for a dinner party she threw when I was probably about 10. When I called her the other day, she claimed she'd only ever made it the one time but I've remembered it ever since. The version she made was so simple - graham crust, whipped cream, and crushed pineapple. She originally got the recipe from my grandmother. I'd searched for the recipe online before and had never been able to find anything that seemed right. The other day I learned it was because the standard recipe includes a second filling layer of eggs, butter, and icing sugar that my mom chose to leave out because, in her version of the recipe, it wasn't cooked. She (and I) have a thing about uncooked eggs. I was always thinking the recipes looked wrong because there was too much going on. Once she shared this little tidbit the recipes I was finding made a lot more sense.



Action shot

Crushed pineapple, whipped cream, and vanilla bean for good measure



A few extra graham crumbs on top and you're good to go. There's something so deliciously rich but refreshing about this dessert. The cream makes it taste satisfying somehow and the pineapple gives it just a hint of refreshing sweet and sour. If you're looking for something quick and relatively simple, I highly recommend this one. Maybe it'll become a new family favorite. 

1 comment:

  1. You should make the more complicated version and do a little taste test to see which is better. Maybe your mum revolutionized pineapple delight without even knowing it :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...