Monday, November 7, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Pancakes

I have been waiting for quite awhile to make a pumpkin cinnamon roll pancake recipe I found online. This morning I came up with an idea to make the whole process easier. I removed the pumpkin from the equation and used my favorite President's Choice "just add water" buttermilk pancake mix instead of making them from scratch.


I know pancakes from scratch aren't difficult. I just figure, why make them from scratch when I like the results from the box just as much? I'm usually only making one large pancake and the mix lets me make just enough for myself without wasting a ton of extra ingredients. In an effort to spice things up a bit I added cinnamon filling and maple syrup glaze to my standard boxed mix.

Cinnamon Sugar Filling
Half the recipe as posted on RecipeGirl
enough for about 8 5 inch pancakes

1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons brown sugar, packed
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • In a small bowl, mix butter, brown sugar and cinnamon. Scoop the filling into a small zip baggie and set aside until cooled and thickened
  • It's best if it becomes a consistency similar to toothpaste

 

Use your favorite pancake recipe or mix. Pour the batter into a preheated pan. Let the pancake cook for a minute before swirling the cinnamon filling around the top of the pancake. Flip when the bubbles pop and the surface looks dry.

I ended up having to use a disposable piping bag after busting the seams on two different baggies. Only made four 5 inch pancakes so I had quite a bit of filling left. I wrapped it up in the piping bag and put it in the fridge. There isn't anything perishable in it so I'm going to see if I can keep it and use it another time.




Icing Sugar Glaze

1 teaspoon butter, softened
1 tablespoon maple syrup
a splash of milk
1/2 cup of icing sugar
  • Mix all ingredients together with a fork or whisk until smooth
  • If the mix is too thick, add a tiny bit of milk at a time until you reach the consistency you like
  • If the mix is too thin, add icing sugar by the tablespoon until you reach the consistency you like 
Top your pancakes with as much, or as little, glaze as you'd like and enjoy!

  


I thought these were pretty tasty. I did feel like the filling was a little bit of a pain to make. However, I probably feel that way because I was starving and the filling took awhile to get to the "toothpaste" consistency the recipe called for. I would recommend making the filling about half an hour before you want to make the pancakes to give it time to cool down. I ended up throwing mine in the freezer for a few minutes because I was so impatient. If you're planning to feed a crowd for brunch I think the effort would certainly be worth the reward. 

What's your favorite breakfast for a lazy Sunday?

5 comments:

  1. That is the funest thing ever! I love it, great idea!! :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. barbstruestories.wordpress.comNovember 8, 2011 at 7:35 AM

    Interesting how the cinnamon glaze creates such a divide as it cooks. It looks like it didn't stick when it cooked glaze side down. They look picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bacon (thick cut, double smoked if possible), eggs (over easy), toast, fruit, and a big cup of Bridgehead Ethiopian Sidamo...that's my greatest homemade SUnday breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can practically smell those from here... I have such a weakness for cinnamon rolls but I hate how long it takes to make them, pancakes on the other hand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Brilynn

    These were super easy and fast. I'm looking forward to making them again soon.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...