Friday, November 18, 2011

Mixed Up: President's Choice Whoopie Pie Mix

This week I thought I'd try something a little different. I made something from a boxed mix. I'll admit, I was feeling a little bit lazy and the idea of making something from a package was ridiculously appealing. Just dump, mix, and you're ready to go, right?


I saw the new President's Choice whoopie pie mix in the Holiday Insider's Report earlier this month and thought I'd give it a try. Whoopie pies are all the rage these days. The cake seems easy enough but the marshmallowy filling has always frightened me. The "just add water" aspect of the filling part of the mix seemed super appealing to me. 



The recipe itself seemed simple enough. Minimal extra ingredients to add to the prepared mix. 


My one tip for the cake mix would be not to bother with using the electric beaters. They didn't do a great job of mixing the thick batter and it was just one more thing to get out of the cupboard and wash later on. I think a spatula or whisk would work just fine. 
 

To get consistently sized cookies, I used my one tablespoon cookie scoop. I bought that scoop when I was making hundreds of mini cupcakes for a wedding. I thought I'd never use it again but it's become one of the most used tools in my kitchen. Well worth the $12 I almost didn't pay for it. 
 

The cookies came out perfectly smooth and very evenly sized and shaped. I got 30 cookies.
 

The filling mix just required the addition of 1/4 cup of water and into the mixer. For this step I would recommend a stand mixer if you have one. It's so much easier to just set the mixer on high and walk away for the three to five minutes instead of standing at the counter with a hand mixer. 
 

The result was a super gooey, fluffy, glossy, vanilla bean laden filling. 
 

I used a piping bag to get the filling onto the cookies. It just seemed like the least messy way to go about it. I was pretty generous with the filling and still had quite a bit leftover. 
 


They turned out picture perfect. They really couldn't look more like the ones on the box. My main complaint was the taste. I thought they were revolting. The mix had a serious chemical smell to it, as did the finished product. I took one bite and I was done. There was some flavor in them that I just couldn't place but I knew I despised. 

I took them to work to get a second opinion and was surprised by what people said - they liked them! One so much so that she asked for the name of the mix so she could make them for herself. I tried one again today and found that the cake had a better flavor but the filling still tasted weird to me. 

All in all, I don't think I'd make these again. It was nice not to have to measure out ingredients but the taste wasn't worth any of the trouble I saved. At $2.99 they might be worth checking out if you're in a pinch.

Have you ever been grossed out by a prepared food that you thought was going to be tasty?

4 comments:

  1. Well nothing beats making from scratch which is why you tasted something 'chemical'. I admit I saw these too at Superstore last week and it crossed my mind. I've read some reviews on various blogs, most of which are "allright but nothing fabulous" sort of reviews. Easy to make a cookie like this from scratch; my mom made them when I was growing up and put everything from marshmallow to icing, to jam inside...good review and pics, thanks! Loving the blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always hopeful that there will be a good mix out there either for those who feel they don't have the time or don't have the patience for "real" baking. I do have one mix that I love that I think I'll review here soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried or heard of any who have tried their new Red Velvet cake mix? It comes in the same style of box as these - I bought some because Duncan Hines Red Velvet is apparently not sold at Loblaws?! I'm making it within the next month!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I saw those in the store and was intrigued. I can admit to not being drawn to a lot of boxed mixes now that I know how to make things myself, but $2.99 doesn't seem like a bad price to indulge once in awhile (and I do love whoopie pies). I thought whoopie pies usually had cream cheese icing? The marshmallow does sound a little weird...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...