Monday, February 20, 2012

Cranberry Buttermilk Quick Bread

Who doesn't love a good loaf? They're so easy and so tasty. I wanted to make something different to eat for breakfast for the week. I had just read a recipe on The Kitchn for buttermilk quick bread that encouraged variation to the recipe and I just happened to have some leftover buttermilk so I basically had to make it.


Buttermilk Quick Bread
slightly modified from The Kitchn
makes one loaf

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 cup cranberries, fresh or frozen

Heat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x5 loaf pan with parchment or spray with cooking spray.
 
Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. 

Add vegetable oil to a separate bowl with the buttermilk, egg and vanilla.


Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients. Gently stir the ingredients until all the flour has been incorporated. Be careful not to over-mix.
 
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and pat it into the corners. Bake for 45-50 minutes until the loaf is golden and a toothpick or skewer inserted into the center comes out clean. Let the loaf cool in the pan for 15 minutes before turning out onto a rack.

Before

After
This recipe was really easy. I think it took me about five or ten minutes to put it together and get it into the oven. Definitely a snack you could pull together on a weeknight and throw in the oven while you're getting dinner ready. I think it will become a staple recipe for me when I have extra buttermilk leftover from another recipe. I'm always looking for some way to use it up. The inside was nice and moist and the top got nice and crunchy. I had some raw sugar in the cupboard so I sprinkled some on top to try and add a little texture. The Kitchn article gives 10 different variations of the recipe that all look pretty tasty.  


Do you have any recipes you reach for when you're trying to use ingredients left from another recipe?

4 comments:

  1. I purposefully avoid so many recipes with buttermilk, knowing that I'll have to throw it out or use up the rest. This looks like such a good idea! And yummmmmmy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can always use plain yogurt watered down with some milk water. You can also miix one cup of milk with a tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice and let it sit for a few minutes until it thickens a bit.

      Delete
  2. This is great timing. I was going to ask you for this recipe because we have some buttermilk leftover from Jordan's fried chicken experiments :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can get him to do a guest post the next time he makes it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...