Monday, February 6, 2012

Healthy Jalapeño Poppers

So, how did the Super Bowl turn out? I'll be honest - football isn't really my thing. I've tried to understand it a few different times but I've always lost interest before I've absorbed everything I need to know. There were no Super Bowl celebrations for me but I was inspired to make a treat for myself to enjoy on Superbowl Sunday. 


I think I've only had jalapeño poppers two or three times in my life. One of them being a sample I got at Costco this past Friday. That's right. A Costco sample was my inspiration for this recipe. As tempted as I was to just buy the giant box of frozen treats, I knew I could make these at home pretty easily and they would probably be a lot healthier than the premade ones. 

Healthier Jalapeño Poppers
serves 4 as a snack
slightly adapted from Skinny Taste
  • 4 large jalapeño peppers, sliced in half lengthwise
  • 4 wedges light Laughing Cow cheese (could use 1/4 to 1/2 cup light cream cheese)
  • 1/4 cup shredded low fat sharp cheddar
  • 1/4 cup egg beaters or egg whites, beaten
  • 1/2 cup panko crumbs
  • dash paprika
  • dash garlic powder
  • dash chili powder
  • salt and fresh pepper
  • spray oil
Preheat oven to 350°. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and membrane. Be careful not to touch your eyes or nose.

Combine cheeses in a small bowl. Fill the peppers with cheese filling with a small spoon or spatula.


Dip peppers in egg mix with one hand. Place pepper in panko mixture and use a spoon in the other hand to cover the pepper with crumbs. Keeping one hand for wet and the other for dry keeps things a little tidier. 

Spray a baking pan lined with parchment or foil with cooking spray. Lightly spray the peppers with a little more spray.  


Bake in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, until golden and cheese oozes out.


These were pretty good! I think mine could have stayed in the oven a little bit longer. The bread crumbs were nice and toasty but the cheese wasn't as gooey as I was expecting. It also could have been the use of the Laughing Cow. I think cream cheese would be the better choice but I went with what I had in the fridge. I would definitely consider making these for a party and I think they'd be really great for the Super Bowl next year. Maybe even for the next big sporting event. What's up next?

What did you make for Super Bowl Sunday?

1 comment:

  1. These sound tasty! I made chili, quesadillas and guacamole. :)

    Lynds

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...