Monday, March 5, 2012

Banoffee Pie

I have something to share with you. I don't like bananas. As much as I try, I can't learn to love them. However, I dream about this dessert. Banana + toffee = banoffee.


I had never heard of banoffee pie until I had dinner at Allium in Hintonburg. There was a strange concoction called "Banoffee Pie" on the menu. I had to ask what it was and, when I heard the description, I was pretty skeptical but I decided to give it a try anyway. I've never looked back. Bananas, toffee, whipped cream, a cookie crust, and a little chocolate shaved on top for good measure. It's such a simple concept with such a delicious result. Banoffee has been popular in the UK for ages. I wish I'd come across it sooner. I've been meaning to attempt making this since I first tried it and today seemed like as good a day as any. Since having an entire delicious pie in the house isn't the smartest idea for me I decided to do what I do with so many desserts and made individual portions.

Individual Banoffee Pies
makes 6
  • 1/2 cup graham, or digestive cookie, crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • dash of cinnamon
  • 1 banana. sliced
  • prepared dulce de leche
  • whipped cream
  • chocolate, for garnish
Combine graham crumbs, melted butter, sugar, and cinnamon in a small bowl. In a muffin tin, divide the crust mixture between 6 cupcakes liners and press onto the bottom and up the sides of the liner. Bake at 350F for 5 minutes and let the crusts cool before moving on to the next step.

Before baking
Spoon about a teaspoon of dulce de leche into the bottom of each crust and top with 4 or 5 slices of banana.


On top of the bananas, spread about a tablespoon more dulce de leche to cover the bananas and fill the crust. 


Chill the pies until you're ready to serve. Before serving, top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. Enjoy!


Now that I'm aware of how easy these are to pull together I'm slightly worried that I'm going to want to make them all the time. Other than the banana, I have most of these ingredients in the house most of the time. 

Dulce de leche, or caramel, might be the ingredient that throws most people. It seems like a tough thing to make. I will admit, the discovery of jarred dulce de leche at Costco has been an addition to my pantry. It has made its way into a number of recipes and it's just so darned inexpensive. This giant jar is under $5. That's way less expensive than the ingredients for the equivalent amount of caramel or even homemade dulce de leche. 


Do you have a food you "don't like" but love in certain circumstances?

5 comments:

  1. There's a banoffee pie reference in Love Actually. Ok, so I didn't actually know what banoffee pie was when it was mentioned in Love Actually (the scene where Kira Knightly offers pie in exchange for the guy looking for the wedding video and apologizes for her terrible taste in pie) but I knew it was a pie of some sort...

    I'm trying to think of a food that I don't like except in certain circumstances. It used to be tomatoes...I would only like them in sauces (minus ketchup...i still don't really like ketchup). I am, however, the opposite with you and bananas. I like them on their own, but generally not in things. Even just half a banana would ruin an entire blender of smoothie for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it's only recently I've started to be ok with banana in things. I used to hate it in smoothies but I'm getting better with it. And, oddly enough, I used to love banana amoxicillin : )

      Delete
    2. I think i just threw up a little in my mouth at the thought of the banana amoxicillin...
      (PS- any plans to take word verification away? i keep getting them wrong...)

      Delete
  2. OK, funny you should say that amoxicillin thing - that's why I can't stand banana-flavoured ANYTHING!!! I love the fruit, and Michelle, this is officially my favourite dessert I've EVER had of yours.

    My mom first heard of this in Ireland where every pub in the countryside offered it as a dessert. Can't wait to make these for her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This looks so good and so easy to put together!
      I loooove bananas

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...