Monday, March 19, 2012

Irish Cream Bars

As per usual, I'm posting a holiday-related recipe after the holiday it was intended for. At least I'm consistent.I present St. Patrick's Day Bailey's bars.

At the last minute on Thursday I decided I wanted to bring in a little sweet treat for my co-workers in anticipation of St. Patty's day. Given we were all headed to the pub in the afternoon, a slightly boozy start to the say seemed appropriate. After much searching I came across this recipe. I happened to have all of the ingredients in the house so this recipe seemed like the winner. 

Irish Cream Bars
makes one 9x9 pan 
modified from Betty Crocker
  • 3/4 cup white flour
  • 1/2 cup butter, softened
  • 1/4 cup icing sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cocoa
  • 3/4 cup sour cream
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1/3 cup Irish cream 
  • 1 tablespoon white flour
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • seeds scraped from half a vanilla bean
  • 1 egg
  • cocoa for dusting
Pre-heat oven to 350ºF. Sift 3/4 cup flour, icing sugar, and cocoa into a bowl and blend with the butter using a pastry cutter or two knives until dough comes together. Press into a square pan, 8x8x2 or 9x9x2 inches, lined with parchment to make it easier to remove the bars when baked. Bake 10 minutes.


For the filling - in a medium bowl, beat remaining ingredients with wire whisk until blended. Pour over baked crust and bake 20 to 25 minutes or until filling is set. Cool slightly and refrigerate at least 2 hours before cutting. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. For squares, 5 rows by 5 rows. If you're feeling fancy, dust the top of the squares with a little cocoa.


In a moment of genius I realized I had forgotten to add the flour to the filling before putting it in the oven. After about 5 minutes, I remembered, pulled the pan out of the oven and tried to mix the flour into the half cooked filling in the pan. It didn't look great but I think I pulled it off. 

These were a hit at the office. They're definitely a good way to use up some Bailey's and I bet they'd be delicious alongside a pint of Guinness. 

How did you celebrate St. Patrick's Day?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...