Tuesday, June 14, 2011

The Bake Sale: Cookies

I made two kinds of delicious cookies for my bake sale last week. I started off planning to make just a classic chocolate chip cookie. Then, after thinking about it more, I added an oatmeal cranberry. Kind of along the same lines as adding the loaves. I figured an oatmeal cookie might be more appealing at 7am than a cupcake (no matter how delicious they look). 

My favorite chocolate chip cookie comes from the Joy of Baking site. I'm not sure what it is about this one that makes it different compared to other classics like the famous Tollhouse recipe but I like this one best. It's got good flavor and the cookies stay chewy which is very important to me.

The cookie scoop was a good investment


I had a harder time finding the recipe for the oatmeal cranberry cookies. I knew I wanted to use the classic Quaker recipe but I couldn't find the one I thought I was looking for. The one on the Quaker site just didn't seem quite right. This is actually one of the first cookies I ever remember making. The recipe used to be on the back of the cardboard oatmeal container that we always had in the house. I checked around on a few blogs and I finally found a link back to the Quaker site to the Vanishing Oatmeal Raisin cookie recipe. Since I don't really love raisins, I opted for the more universally appealing dried cranberries instead. 


I'm happy to report that both of these cookies freeze really, really well. I made both batches almost a week before the sale and kept them "fresh" in the freezer until the weekend. Since I had quite a few left I threw them back in the freezer and hoped for the best. They were delicious that day and still delicious today, even after they were refrozen. I might have to take some of them in to the office soon. Now that I've remembered they're there, I might have a hard time keeping my hand out of the freezer. 

Do you have a favorite recipe that freezes (and maybe refreezes) well?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...