Monday, June 6, 2011

Bake Sale

How was your weekend? In a word, mine was busy. This past Saturday was the second annual Hintonburg Neighborhood Garage Sale. When I heard about the sale I somehow had the brilliant idea to join in the festivities with a sale of my own...a bake sale. I welcomed the opportunity to make some extra money and figured it was a good time to get out, enjoy the weather, and get to know some of my neighbors. 

Can I interest you in a cupcake?
Some people were super keen on the whole thing. A few of my neighbors asked if this was going to be a regular occurrence. A surprising number of them thought I was just hanging out selling my wares for the heck of it and had no idea about the event going on. While I'm keen to put some cash in my pocket, even I'm not shameless enough to just randomly set up shop on the sidewalk! A few other people were not so keen on my endeavor. One couple asked which charity the proceeds were going towards and, when I said "none", they rolled their eyes with a disgusted "oh" and walked away. While I can appreciate their asking, I figured I had as much right to sell my product and profit from it as any of the people down the street trying to ditch their old coat hangers and VHS tapes.

In preparation, I spent a lot of last week in the kitchen. Since I made so many different things I'll be sharing what I made with you over the next week or two. In the meantime I just wanted to give you a taste of what I've been up to. 

Ever wonder what 10 dozen cupcakes looks like?

My humble little stand

All in all, I'd say the whole thing was a success, thanks in large part to my friends and co-workers who stopped by to keep me company and support the cause. While I may not choose to spend another 6 hours baking cupcakes any time soon, I think the effort was worth it. 

Did you do anything different this weekend?

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm....cupcakes. I wish I could have come and bought some :)

    This weekend- a long bike ride. It had been awhile, so does it count as "different"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so awesome, I hope your making lots of money! I would totally buy lots from you!! -Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...