Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cranberry Oatmeal Muffins

This weekend, when I was trying to figure out what to bake, I decided I just felt like making myself something hearty to take to work for breakfast during the week. I also had a whole lot of buttermilk that I needed to use. These muffins ticked both boxes - a portable breakfast recipe that called for buttermilk. Perfect. I originally made these a couple of months ago to bring to a friend's Easter potluck brunch (hi Janelle!). They got rave reviews at the time. Unfortunately, I never actually got a chance to taste them. The leftovers from brunch went straight to the office and they disappeared before I got a chance to give them a try.

An actual recipe from a printed cookbook!
This recipe comes from the Complete Canadian Living Cookbook. It's a great cookbook for the basics. This is a basic muffin recipe with a bunch of different suggestions for variations on mix-ins and ingredients. There are a ton of recipes like that in this book. I chose to go with the raspberry lemon muffins, substituted the raspberries for frozen cranberries, and left out the lemon zest. There's just something about the tartness of a cranberry that I love for breakfast.







The last time I made these I topped them with a more streusel-like topping made of butter, brown sugar, flour, oats, and chopped almonds. This time I tried to be slightly healthier and stuck with a few extra cranberries and half a pecan. The only thing I would change about this recipe is the yield. I easily could have gotten 18 muffins out of this recipe instead of the suggested 12. Otherwise, I'm impressed. I've been storing them in the freezer at work and popping one in the microwave each day when I need a mid-morning snack. They freeze really well and actually seem to be getting tastier as time goes on. 

Do you have any favorite "basic" recipes that you like to switch up from time to time?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...