Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween: Meringue Ghosts and Pumpkins

I had grand plans for what I was going to make for the office Halloween party. We have a contest every year and, being on of the resident bakers in the office, I feel like I need to make something impressive. When it came time to actually make the fantastic cupcakes I'd planned, I bailed. On Friday I saw a picture on Twitter posted by Karlynn Johnston of Kitchen Magpie (@KitchenMagpie) of the adorable meringue ghosts she was making for her Halloween party. Instantly, I changed my plans and decided to make these instead.

 

Martha Stewart has a Halloween recipe on her site for meringue bones. I used that recipe to make these ghosts and also some pumpkins (that don't really look like pumpkins). 

Meringue Ghosts
Using Martha Stewart's Sweet Bones recipe 
6 large egg whites (I used 7)
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (my addition)
  • Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Put egg whites and sugar in the heatproof bowl of an electric mixer. Set bowl over a pan of simmering water; whisk constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture feels warm to the touch, about 5 minutes.
  • Return bowl to mixer, and fit mixer with the whisk attachment. Beat on high speed until very stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes.
  • Transfer meringue to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain round tip, such as a Wilton #1A . Pipe ghost shapes onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Bake until crisp throughout, about 1 hour. Let cool completely on a wire rack.

About half way through the whisking. Still pretty soft peaks.

After the full 8 minutes on high speed. Nice and stiff.

Decorating supplies - food coloring, candy sticks, piping bags, chocolate chips, and chocolate covered sunflower seeds

I didn't have a big enough round tip so I just cut the end off the piping bag. For the pumpkins I used a Wilton 1M tip.

Pre-decoration ghosts


Lesson learned today - don't try to make white meringue orange using normal liquid food coloring. I can see why the chefs on TV recommend the gel coloring. What I made was really a salmony pink color. I think the wonders of photo editing let me make these look remotely close to orange. 
 
Pumpkins. Hey, I tried.

Slightly peachy looking pumpkin.

Wish me luck in the contest. I think I'm going to need it!

Did you make any treats for Halloween this year?

6 comments:

  1. They turned out so great! I like the pumpkins too, even if they were salmon colored :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one good idea! The ghost's look awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be the photo editing plus my screen because the pumpkins look orange to me!

    The ghosts are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I turned the color saturation WAY up ; )

    ReplyDelete
  5. so ... who won???!?!??!

    -Pam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not me. My friend's lychee fruit and blueberry "eyeballs" won.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...