Monday, January 16, 2012

Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares

When I was younger, I remember I always avoided these squares when I saw them on a dessert tray. I'm not really sure why. It could have been my aversion to most things butterscotch but I'm glad I eventually gave them a chance. 



My co-worker, Krystle, makes these squares every Christmas and I look forward to her bringing them in to the office. You could say it's become a part of the holiday ritual. This year she was off on maternity leave. Fearing I wasn't going to get to have a marshmallow square, I sent her an email and asked if she would be willing to share her "secret" recipe with me. She was kind enough to send it to me and to agree to having me post it here for you. 

Krystle's Butterscotch Peanut Butter Marshmallow Squares 
  • 2 cups mini marshmallows (traditionally multicolored)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter
  • 1/2 butter
  • 1 package butterscotch chips

To begin, freeze the marshmallows for at least an hour before starting to make the squares.

Measure the peanut butter and butter into a microwave safe bowl. Microwave 30 seconds and stir. Continue at 30 second intervals until melted and combined.


Add the butterscotch chips and repeat the melting process until the chips are almost completely melted. Stir until everything comes together. 


Add the frozen marshmallows and combine. Pour the mixture into a 9x9 pan. I always like to line mine with parchment to make them easier to get out of the pan. 


Refrigerate until firm and cut into small squares. These are pretty rich so you don't need much to satisfy your sweet tooth.
 

I made a second batch and substituted the butterscotch chips for chocolate chips. The texture of the final product was a bit firmer than the butterscotch but they were equally delicious. If you're looking for a really easy, really sweet treat these will certainly fit the bill. I'm glad Krystle was willing to share her recipe so I could enjoy this part of my holiday tradition. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...