Monday, May 21, 2012

Chocolate Fudge Ice Pops

Last week I came home from my grocery trip with an ice cream maker. This week I came home with ice pop molds. Sadly, I didn't really have any fruit or juice or typical ice pop fare hanging around to test them out. I came across this recipe on the Epicurious app and, since I did have all of the ingredients for these at home, this became my test batch.



I was a little skeptical that homemade chocolate fudge pops could be as delicious as the ones you buy. They certainly take more effort than pulling a box off the freezer shelf at the store but I think you'll agree they're worth the extra time and energy.

Chocolate Fudge Ice Pops
from Epicurious
makes five 4oz pops

  • 2 cups low-fat milk
  • 2/3 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 2 tablespoons corn syrup
  • splash of vanilla
Heat milk, sugar, cocoa powder, corn syrup, and a pinch of salt in a saucepan over medium heat, stirring, until sugar has dissolved. 


Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool to room temperature and pour into molds. 


Freeze overnight. When frozen, run the mold under hot water briefly to loosen the mold and enjoy!


These things are delicious. I was expecting them to be sweeter but they're really nice and rich and chocolately and have that slightly chewy Fudgesicle texture that I loved so much growing up. They will certainly be in constant rotation over the summer. I think there will be a lot of frozen treats in my house this summer given it's only May and the temperatures are already going to be in the mid to high 20s for at least the next to weeks. 

I picked up the molds at the Superstore. Another great President's Choice product. I was drawn to these ones in particular because the individual pops are nice and big and look like a lot of the ones I've seen used in food magazines. I also like that, once they're frozen, you can remove the individual molds from the base so the pops take up less space in the freezer. The one thing I didn't consider was whether this set up was going to fit in my freezer. I had to move some things around but I made everything fit. I'm looking forward to making some more interesting recipes through the summer. Most will likely involve alcohol in some way, shape, or form. 



What's your favorite frozen treat on a stick?

1 comment:

  1. Had to laugh at this.I found your recipe as I was searching for fudgsicle recipes. A friend bought me the same popsicle molds from Superstore. We got these ones because, unlike many, they are BPA -free. BUT it never occurred to me that they might not fit in my freezer compartments, which are three shallow drawers below the fridge. Too tall by 1/4 in and you cant very well lay them sideways before freezing. Considered many possibilities of what to do, and eventually had to take a hacksaw to cut 1/4 inch off the ends of the sticks. Now to try out your recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...