Monday, May 28, 2012

Rhubarb Infused Vodka

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I love rhubarb. I don't really know what it is about it but I crave it and look forward to Spring time and rhubarb season all year long. I've probably eaten rhubarb a hundred different ways but I've never had it into a drink before. That is until now. May I present to you - rhubarb vodka.


This was really inspired by an article I read on Serious Eats. It broke down the steps and basics of infusing your own spirits at home in a really comprehensive way specifying "soaking" times for different types of ingredients and suggesting some great sounding flavor combinations. I had rhubarb in the fridge and vodka on the shelf so it seemed like a no brainer. 

Rhubarb Infused Vodka
inspired by Serious Eats - How to Infuse Spirits
  • 1 cup rhubarb, chopped into 1/2" pieces
  • 1 cup vodka
  • 1/2 vanilla bean, split
Wash, dry, and chop rhubarb. Place chopped rhubarb into a clean glass jar. 


Cover with vodka. Seal with a lid and give it a shake. Store the jar in a cool, dark place and shake the mix around once a day.


On day 3 or 4, add the split vanilla bean to the mix. Let sit another 2 or 3 days until it tastes as rhubarby as you'd like it. The rhubarb will probably be looking pretty sad and pale at this point. Once it looks pale you're probably not going to get a whole lot more flavor out of it so there's no real point letting it sit around longer than necessary.


Strain the rhubarb mix through a strainer lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter to remove the solids. Let the solids sit in the strainer for a little while to make sure you're getting out as much of the vodka as possible. I was surprised how little vodka was actually absorbed in the rhubarb. If food particles make it through the first straining, strain it a second time.


Pour the strained vodka back into a jar or other container and store in the fridge or freezer until ready to drink. Voila!


This stuff is quite good. It smells just like rhubarb. I've only tried this in one cocktail so far (but forgot to take a picture). I mixed a shot of rhubarb vodka with club soda, a little simple syrup, a few muddled strawberries, and a little squeeze of lime. It was good but I'd like to try it in some different ways to compare and contrast. 

What kind of cocktail would you make with rhubarb vodka?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...