Monday, May 14, 2012

Pineapple Frozen Yogurt


It's been awhile since I actually posted a recipe. I figured today was as good a day as any to get back on track. Although, admittedly, calling this a recipe is a bit of a stretch. 



I got myself a new toy last week. I've been wanting to get an ice cream maker for a couple of years and I stumbled across one by President's Choice at the Superstore. At $30 the price was definitely right. I didn't feel like making dinner the other day so I threw this together instead of cooking. Frozen yogurt seemed like an acceptable dinner on a beautiful summer day. 

Pineapple Frozen Yogurt
makes 1-2 servings
  • 1 cup vanilla Greek yogurt (I used Liberte)
  • 2 or 3 tablespoons crushed pineapple (I used canned but you can use fresh if you have it)
  • sugar, to taste
  • splash of vanilla
Mix all ingredients and churn in your prepared ice cream maker for 10 to 15 minutes until it reaches your desired consistency. Enjoy!

Like I said, not much of a recipe. I made a small batch since I was just making it for me but feel free to double or triple the batch up to whatever volume your ice cream maker will hold. Here are a few tips to ensure your success:   
  • Make sure the bowl of the ice cream maker is totally frozen. Mine recommends 24 hours in the freezer before use. 
  • Turn on the ice cream maker before adding the yogurt mixture. I failed to do this today and I ended up with a bit of a mess on my hands. The bowl is really, really cold and the yogurt starts to freeze immediately. I tried to put the paddle and lid on after adding the yogurt and I couldn't get the lid to lock into place because of all the frozen bits on the bottom. 
  • DO NOT stop the the machine part way through and then try to start it up again. I also did that and ended up jamming the paddle when it got frozen to the sides. 
  • Homemade frozen yogurt or ice cream is never going to get totally solid straight out of the machine so, if you want it a bit firmer than it is after it's churned, stick it in the freezer for an hour or so. 

That's it! I'm sure there will be many more yogurt and ice cream posts through the summer as I experiment more with my new gadget. 

Which flavors would you like to see me post about?

5 comments:

  1. How well do you find the PC ice cream maker held up? I've been quite tempted to pick it up to make some savoury ice creams to serve with foams, but I'm concerned that without something solid in the mix, like your pineapple, it may not freeze quite as well as I'd want.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far I've only tried yogurt but it's worked really well. I have a batch of vanilla ice cream base in the fridge to try out tomorrow. For the price, I'm pretty happy so far.

      Delete
  2. Looks interesting Michelle. I plan to try it. We had a great ice cream maker given to us. It's called Caddy-Italian-which makes for some interesting recipes when translated to English. I too have added ingredients without turning it on and regretted not re-reading the instructions beforehand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear some one had success with their PC ice cream maker. I didn't. In fact after 4 very messy and disappointing tries, I returned mine for a full refund. I'm going to bookmark your recipe though and possible make it using another method.
    BTW love your blog! Sure wish I could follow it via Google reader.
    Happy Cooking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay. Is there something I can do to make the blog Google Reader friendly? I'm not really up on the technical stuff.

      Since this successful attempt I made one decent batch of ice cream but the last time I tried to make frozen yogurt was a disaster. Even though it was churning before I added the mix, it froze to the sides so quickly the blade got jammed up and I couldn't salvage much of it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...