Monday, September 5, 2011

Chocolate Fudge Cake

While I was home in PEI this past week, I was given the task of making dessert for a big family dinner. I wanted to get all creative and show the family what I'm capable of in the kitchen but my dreams were dashed. My mother informed me that this was what I was making...


I usually don't use cake mixes. Not that I have anything against them - they're reliable for a reason. They've been tried and tested to turn out well every time, but it sometimes feels like cheating. Know what I mean? Anyway, this is what my mom wanted me to make so I obliged. 

This particular combination is apparently pretty popular. I'd never made it before but it's a favorite of my aunt and her family. Based on the ingredients, a couple of her friends have dubbed it the "chemical cake". Seems appropriate. The ingredients were pretty straight forward as you can see in the recipe...cake mix, pudding, sour cream, and chocolate chips.


I was a bit skeptical of the batter at first. It was so thick that I didn't think that the proportions could possibly have been right.


I mixed in the bag of chocolate chips, threw it in the pan, and hoped for the best. 
 

Turns out I was wrong. The cake turned out really well. As per usual, I was a little too eager to get the cake out of the pan and left a chunk behind in the pan. Luckily that piece was mostly chocolate chips so I just stuck it back on the cake and it seemed to hold. I knew the cake was just going to be cut up and dished out so I wasn't overly worried about presentation. 


The overall result was really quite good! Mom served it up with peanut butter fudge crunch ice cream instead of frosting. A pretty delicious combo. I wasn't sure I was going to be too fond of this concoction but I really liked it. It was all of the things you expect from a cake mix. It was moist without being soggy, had a really good texture, and had a good chocolate flavor. It's not something I'm going to make everyday but I think it's a really good alternative for people who aren't too comfortable with baking from scratch and want to make something more interesting than a plain cake mix. 

What's your favorite cake mix modification?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...