Thursday, September 29, 2011

Share Your Sweets: Apples

The theme for Serious Sweets this week is apples. Since I don't have a go-to apple recipe in my repertoire I did a little search for something new and I came up with these - baked caramel apple doughnuts.


This recipe (available here) came from Tracey Benjamin's website, Shutterbean. I had never really checked out her site before but was familiar with her stuff from her podcast with Joy from Joy the Baker. The recipe called for apples and a doughnut pan so it seemed perfect. 



To begin, peel and then shred up three apples with a box grater. It goes reremarkably quickly once you get started.




Mix the wet ingredients in one bowl and dry in a second. Mix the wet with the dry until just combined. 



Add the apples and combine.



Into the pan and bake for about 18 minutes. 


Too quick trying to get one out of the pan

Since I only have one doughnut pan with six holes, I got impatient and also used a muffin tin so I could bake more than six at a time. It's basically just a sweet muffin batter anyway, so no real difference. In fact, if you don't have a doughnut pan, there's no reason not to make these. Almost everyone has a muffin tin.


While I was waiting for the doughnuts to cool I started getting the caramel topping together. Unfortunately, I completely forgot to take any pictures of this step. It was extremely simple. Unwrap the caramels, put into a microwaveable bowl or large measuring cup and add the milk. Microwave at 10 second intervals until everything is melted.

I think the final result turned out really well. I took a cue from a comment Tracey made in her post and added a little bit of fleur de sel to the top of a few of the doughnuts and it was amazing.




I only made half the batch of caramel because I thought it was going to make too much. I was wrong. For the rest of the doughnuts, I mixed up a bit of cinnamon and sugar so they wouldn't be left naked. 



I would certainly make these again. If I did, I think I would add the salt to all of them. It was interesting to see that the caramel completely soaked into these overnight. So I would suggest, if you're planning to make them for company, make them the same day or you'll lose the visual appeal. They were just as tasty the next day. 

What's your favorite apple dessert?

2 comments:

  1. You know? I don't ever gravitate toward apple desserts even though I really like apples. What I really want to try is Apple Cider Donuts. Apparently there is a place in Vermont that is famous for them.

    So kind of boring and predictable- but my favourite apple dessert is pie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristen, I think I've been to the place in Vermont. Is it near Ben & Jerry's? If so, the doughnuts were delicious and they make them fresh all through the day. Funny enough, I like apple crisp but don't really like apple pie.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...