Monday, September 12, 2011

Family Recipe: Coconut Macaroons

While I was on vacation in PEI, I spent a lot of time with my mom, aunt, and cousins talking about the blog and cooking, baking, and recipes in general. Everyone has their favorites that they make over and over again and pull out of the book when they need something quick and easy that's a guaranteed hit. My aunt wrote out a recipe for me that she insisted I try out. She's made it over and over and said it had never failed her. It looked so tasty and easy that I just couldn't resist giving it a try.


 Aunt Linda's Coconut Macaroons
(slightly modified)

1 300 mL can of sweetened condensed milk
4 1/2 cups shredded coconut (I used half sweetened and half unsweetened)
3 tablespoons sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix ingredients until combined. Scoop by rounded tablespoonful onto parchment lined baking sheets. Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown and set. Transfer to a rack to cool.

Makes 45-50 macaroons.


Super simple ingredients


Fresh out of the oven

I made the macaroons to bring to a girls get together over the weekend but I thought they needed to be gussied up a little bit. A little chocolate never hurt anything, right? I melted about half a cup of chocolate chips in the microwave and put the melted chocolate into a small zip top bag, cut off a bit in the corner, and used it as a quick fix piping bag. 






I like coconut but I didn't think I was going to like these nearly as much as I did. They were a huge hit with the girls too. At one point I may have asked how many macaroons was too many macaroons. The response I heard was "I've already had four...". I would say that's a sign of a good recipe. They were crunchy and crispy around the edges and on the bottoms but the middle stayed so nice and chewy. They were sweet without being too sweet. All in all, a great result. Thanks Aunt Linda - you were right. These are certainly worth making again and again. 

Do you have any favorite (easy) family recipes? 


5 comments:

  1. I love coconut and chocolate but I have never enjoyed a macaroon, until I ate one of these. I believe it was me who responded with "I've already had four."
    The macaroons were sort of crispy on the outside and very chewy in the middle. I liked that they were not too fat and puffy, just the perfect amount of coconut under all that delicious drizzled chocolate.
    Another fantastic recipe, Michelle!

    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peggy, I can hear you saying that now :) Love it!

    Have you ever had a haystack? Similar to a macaroon but with chocolate mixed right in...so basically a chocolate macaroon. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont think I've ever had a haystack. I do know that Pegs makes a mean spider cookie though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Some people mistakenly call spider cookies macaroons. Kristen is probably referring to spider cookies.
    Pegs

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW these look super duper good!! WOW! I'm totally going to use this one, and it doesn't look like there are a tonne of things to include in this recipe! :) Excellent 'Shell, thanks! :)

    Pam

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...